A fresh look at goal setting -- the new year is an ideal time for deciding where we want to focus our new aspirations
I love the automatic structure the calendar year provides in terms of a time line for reviewing our progress.
Perhaps you're already familiar with the Yale study (although some say it never took place), which reported that the 1953 graduating class at Yale was interviewed and only 3% had written specific goals for their futures. Twenty years later, that same 3% was found to have a higher net worth than the other 97% combined.
This story illustrates the power and importance of goals. They provide us with targets—something to aim for. In other words, they give life direction.
In addition, goal setting is a method of anticipating and preparing for the future. It is an effective way of picturing what we want to achieve and what we want our lives to be like. We can then move towards those images in an intentional way.