Customers Report Pent-Up Demand For Custom And Ready-Made Picture Frames
New Unity Marketing report on the picture framing market finds customers have between 6 and 7 items waiting to be framed -- the makings of a framing boom!
Although the art market has been hit hard by the one-two punch of the recession and a product category that has become increasingly irrelevant to consumers, there is one bright spot on the horizon: Consumers love to frame photos and personal mementos, and they have a number of items waiting in the wings for just the right frame.
"The increase in demand for framing, both custom and ready-made, is being driven by a boomin digital photography," says Pam Danziger, president of Unity Marketing and lead researcher on the latest Art, Wall Decor, Custom Framing, and Picture Frame Report. A newsurvey among 1,300+ category buyers showed that nearly everyone has a digital camera, and almost two-thirds of them printed and framed a photo in the past year, likely to go on a photo wall or in-home gallery.
"Digital photos are prime examples of the types of items consumers want to frame -- items that have a significant emotional value, as well as perhaps a monetary value. In our recent survey, we found that consumers are collecting items to frame faster than they can frame them, creating a backlog of pent-up demand."
For example, the survey found that people had an average of 6.3 items waiting to be framed. This number was even higher for those who had purchased framing in the past. Those who had purchased ready-made picture frames in the past reported an average of 6.6 items waiting to be framed, while those who purchased custom framing in the past had 6.9 items in the queue.
"This backlog of items waiting to be framed is a golden opportunity for makers and marketers of ready-made frames and custom framing services," says Danziger. "Marketers can entice consumers to frame some of these items waiting for attention by offering sales and specials on ready-made frames, perhaps giving a buy-two-get-one special on purchases of frames in a certain style. This will play in nicely to the trend of consumers having an in-house gallery or photo wall displaying their prized memories."
"Custom framers can do likewise, but our survey also found that these marketers have an opportunity to attract customers by creating an atmosphere of respect for a customer's cherished item. Simply keeping the store neat and clean and taking great care in handling the item are ways of reassuring the consumer that they can trust their treasure with the framer. Whether it is a vintage baseball card worth thousands of dollars or a son's Little League photo, these are irreplaceable items. The framer who treats them as such will get the business."
More about the Art, Wall Decor, Custom Framing and Picture Frame Report
Unity Marketing's Art, Wall Decor, Custom Framing, and Picture Frame Report is designed to help art, wall decor, custom framing and picture frame manufacturers, marketers and retailers better understand the consumer market for their goods. Based upon research among 1,300+ recent product category purchasers (HHI $107k; age 45.8 yrs.; 36% male/64% female), this report focuses on market opportunities available to product manufacturers and retailers to help them deliver products and services that satisfy the consumers' desire for art, wall decor, custom framing and picture frames. A perspective on trends in the marketplace are provided by comparison with a survey conducted among consumers in 2006.
Through an in-depth investigation of consumers, their buying behavior, needs, desires and preferences, this report includes research data and statistics about:
- Art, Wall Decor, Frame and Framing Market Size and Growth: What is the size of the overall art, wall decor, frame and custom framing markets? How rapidly is it growing? How is the market segmented by type of product purchased? How are sales by channel of distribution shifting?
- Demographics of the Market: What are the demographic characteristics of people who buy art, wall decor, frames and custom framing? What are the key demographic differences found among and between buyers of the different product segments (e.g., gender, age, generation, household income, size, composition, ethnicity/race, education, etc.)?
- Art, Wall Decor, Frame and Custom Framing Buying Behavior: What are the primary characteristics of the consumers' buying behavior related to these products in general and each product segment in particular (e.g. art, wall decor, frames, and custom framing)? Why do they buy these goods and how do consumers' motivations different by product category segment? Where do they shop for the different types of products; what factors influence their decision making; how much do they spend buying each of the products segments and across the entire category? What is the role of brand in product selection and shopping choices? How do different demographic segments differ in their shopping and buying behavior?
- Psychographic Profile and Segmentation of the Art and Custom Framing Markets: Psychographic profiles of art buyers and custom framing customers is developed in this report. The personality profiles identify different types or personalities of consumers of art and custom framing. These profiles identify different drives and motivations found among consumers in purchasing these products; what factors are more or less important in driving their purchasing decisions; and how art and framing marketers and retailers can better understand the hearts and minds of their consumers. In essence, we will discover why people buy art and custom framing.
How You Will Benefit From This Report
If your company is interested in understanding and reaching the art, wall decor, custom framing, and picture fame consumer, you will find this report a critical resource. The psychographic profiles act as a "field guide" to the various preferences and motivations exhibited by different personalities of art and custom framing consumers, allowing you and your employees to quickly identify and better serve these distinct market segments. Trend data will help you understand the driving forces behind these changing markets, while purchase behavior data will help you understand which products will find treasured homes with these new consumers, and which will gather dust.
This report will help:
- Marketing managers identify marketing opportunities and develop targeted promotions that will reach and stick with the art and wall decor consumers.
- Research and development professionals understand which product types are likely to gain in popularity over the coming years and which have already peaked.
- Advertising professionals to develop messages that resonate with specific consumer profiles.
- Business development executives to understand growth and partnership opportunities driven by the changing consumer marketplace.
- Store owners to better identify and understand the consumer walking through the door, with the goal of making that consumer a regular, repeat customer.
To Custom-Frame or Buy a Ready-Made Frame? That Is the Question
This study includes an analysis of both custom-framing customers and those who choose ready-made picture frames for their display needs. This study examines in detail the motivating factors behind the purchase of each framing option and gives marketers and retailers guidance in positioning their products to attract their best target customer and grow their business.