Empowerment for Women: the Ways Women Can Empower Themselves
When you feel empowered you can accomplish anything you desire.
Empowerment for women doesn't mean you have to burn your bra or spit at the end of the bar. It doesn't mean you need to be aggressive or stare down the nearest competitor with vigor.
But there are a few things you can do to set yourself on the road to empowerment.
1. Value relationships where you are an equal. This applies to both personal and professional relationships especially as women owned businesses where you are respected and valued as a person for what you believe and the ideas you bring to the table.
2. Own your voice. Be assertive with your opinions. Expect that others will listen. This doesn't mean to interrupt, only if you need to, but rather it's about getting your message across with clarity and meaning.
3. Identify words and language that support you, as well as men. Use words that show strength, willingness, and appreciation. Speak in a language that commands respect, honesty and openness.
4. Refrain from succumbing to the naughty jokes or innuendos at work. Once you participate in such banter your reputation suffers. You won't be taken seriously when you take on an issue.
5. Focus on what is beneath appearances. Compliment someone on who they are not what they look like or how they dress. "You really communicated your idea well in that meeting" goes a lot further than, "Gee, you looked good in there."
6. Talk about instances of improper treatment of women. Let people know you are aware of how you appreciate being treated with a certain standard.
7. Learn how to ask and negotiate. Be fair. Ask when you have earned it, not for any other reason. Be prepared to state your case and negotiate what will create a win-win situation.
8. Be confident in planning your career. Visualize your advancement, who you want as a mentor, or continuing education that will keep you in the loop for a promotion.
9. Be a risk taker. This will help you develop self-reliance in making decisions and solving problems.
10. Know and take care of your money. There's nothing like have a rock solid healthy relationship with your money. If you support your money, it will support you.
These are only a few of the ways women can begin to empower themselves in a world where they sometimes get passed over or go unnoticed. Empowerment for women means equality and recognition for the different gifts women bring to the table. You play a major role in setting the bar for how men and other women treat you, acknowledge your women power and support you.